2011年12月12日星期一

Getting the Silent Treatment


While getting a facial this week I broke one of my cardinal rules: I started a conversation with the therapist. Not that I'm away, hostile or indifferent to what she had to say. I would just rather not share our life stories when I'm naked on a table and my purpose in life only goal is to forget everything.

The problem is that I often feel rude not to talk to someone who performs a task intimate, such as extraction of blackheads or rub my shoulders. It feels like someone deliberately ignores is right in front of the table. But once you start talking, it is usually impossible or too difficult to stop. In this case, we gabbed for 1.5 hours on everything from restaurants to his marriage. And as engaging as the conversation would have been in other circumstances, it prevented me to relax and enjoy the experience that I must have.

Robin Ehrlich, licensed massage therapist and the founder and director of the Eastside Massage Therapy Center in Manhattan Upper East Side, known in a diplomatic way to get some peace and quiet. His advice: "To prevent the therapist to discuss your massage, say," I'm going to drift off. Do you need to tell me something before we start? "It does not look like" shut up ', but it conveys the idea politely. If it is still yakking too much for your liking, I'm sorry, I can not talk now. I'm just sooooo relaxed.

没有评论:

发表评论